Pesquisar este blog

ABOUT.ME

segunda-feira, 21 de julho de 2014

Being Foreign, or Why I Don’t Understand Mexico Part II



Postado originalmente em Soonest Mended:



By Robert Blakslee


queretaro-una-de-las-mejores-ciudades-gde


I’ve been living in Mexico for quite some time now. Life is good; my city is safe, rent is cheap, I like the food and it’s cheap too. But always and forever, in ways both obvious and subtle, I’m a foreigner, an eternal visitor. The only time I’ve been taken for a Mexican, to my knowledge, I was at a bar. It was very loud, so the girl mustn’t have heard my accent very clearly, and when I mentioned something about being an American (‘gringo’), she said something to the tune of, “Huh, you’re American? I thought you were just super ‘fresa’.” ‘Fresa’ literally means strawberry in Spanish, but in Mexico it means something like preppy, spoiled, and out of touch with reality. At the time I didn’t know this and thought she was saying I was very red.


But to be honest, as a foreigner I…



Ver original 1.789 mais palavras






Arquivado em:Sem categoria



from WordPress http://ift.tt/1rEY4tY

via IFTTT

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Reuters: Top News

Reuters: World News

Reuters: Arts

Reuters: Sports News

Reuters: People News

Reuters: Entertainment News

Reuters: Technology News